- I went from averaging 199.4lbs, 16.8% fat to 175.1, 16.6% fat on the same bio-impedance scale. While this scale may not be accurate as to my true body fat %, I had conducted five repeated pre-trip measurements and found it was quite reliable.
- Squat: from 350 down to 310
- Deadlift: from 350 down to 275
- Benchpress: from 250 down to 185
- Shoulder Press: from 160 down to 135
- Finding a place to do any resistance training was far more difficult than I had imagined. Clean, flat surfaces were exceedingly rare in the Amazon.
- The amount of mental effort and time required to take care of ourselves while traveling was much greater than expected. Navigating from place to place and finding somewhere to eat, sleep and bathe was far more time consuming than I had anticipated.
- Mosquitoes and heat were a far greater deterent to exercise than I had anticipated
- Biking for 8-10 hours a day left little enthusiasm for resistance training.
- Did I mention I had five cases of traveler’s diarrhea the last several of which were caused by giardia?
Actually we did train for one week.
In the total of 10 weeks of travel, Jessica and I had two weeks of regular resistance training.
The first convenient opportunity for resistance training was on the 7 day riverboat trip from Iquitos to Pucallpa. We worked out every day with 4 day cycle of workouts: A,B,C,D
- Once a week, do some very heavy lifts with whatever is handy. (I want to keep as much strength as possible) FAILED
- Set up rings twice a week FAILED (We set up the rings three times during the entire 10 weeks)
- Stand on right leg whenever waiting around. FAILED (no good excuse for this one)
- Work on handstands whenever there is a flat, relatively clean surface. FAILED. The flat, relatively clean surface never materialized.
- Increase vertical jump by 1 inch NOT TESTED
- Increase # of muscle ups on rings NOT TESTED
- Increase duration of eyes closed right leg balance NOT TESTED
- Press from down dog to handstand with feet on step FAILED
- Climb vertical tree like huarani. LEARNED CONCEPT BUT NEVER ATTEMPTED
- Learn optimal way to carry a baby LEARNED CONCEPT BUT NEVER ATTEMPTED
- Take 10 steps on slackline ACHIEVED!